Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Working with one arm tied behind my back


Working without a model is like trying to work with one arm tied behind my back. The French sculptor Auguste Rodin is quoted as saying: I can only work from a model. The sight of the human form feeds and comforts me. I agree!

Forty years ago in the Caribbean, I could find potential models at every turn. But fast food, together with no longer having to carry bunches of bananas down steep hillsides, has turned my slender Daughters of the Caribbean Sun into figures of obesity. These days, I search in vain.

I am now ready to attempt creating a sculpture in the round from my handmade papers and paper pulp. The opening sketch, put down in charcoal a matter of seconds on a 5 cent sheet of newsprint, gives you an idea of what I an after: arms, legs, hair thrown in all directions and the figure twisted from hips to shoulders through forty-five degrees.


The live model is needed not for defining the frozen moment but for instilling life. The latest installment of my book Notes on the Nude continues this theme:

When I painted landscapes I waxed lyrical about the view, now that I work with the figure I wax lyrical about the model. Just as I allow my watercolour washes the freedom to do what comes naturally, the model must throw off all restraints.  The formal pose offers nothing to get excited about. Gay abandonment is more inspiring than decorum.  


I have prepared clay for the initial sketch and a new batch of banana pulp. All I need now is the model. 

No comments:

Post a Comment