Wednesday, August 12, 2020

In Memory of David Curran

 

David Curran, who modelled for the lock-keeper in my award winning sculpture for the town of Sowerby Bridge, died recently of cancer. In the above picture of the unveiling David is the one in front wearing the red neck tie. He was the very best of models and I have fond memories of our time together. 

My stories of his time modelling are classics.

For the initial nude figure David posed in my unheated cavernous studio in the dead of winter. He never complained but one day admitted that it was a bit cold. And no wonder! A window had blown open and a gale of wind was sending snow flurries onto the modelling stand.

At the beginning of one week's modelling I made coloured chalk marks on his ample belly to aid my measurements. On Friday he asked if I'd be needing the reference points the following week. I told him no, I only needed them for the one day. Why do you ask? Well Rog, I could do with a bath.

At one stage his doctor said he to needed to perform minor surgery to remove his belly button. David asked the doctor if he'd ever consider robbing Noami Campbell of her belly button. The doctor said that was different, she's a model. David's response was, and so am I.

A few days after the unveiling he came to ask for a bucket of water. He said a pigeon had shit on him. It took me a while to realise that he was referring to the sculpture.

Dave once told me that working with me was the best job he ever had. I can truly say, likewise.

David, death cannot take you away. Your sculpture will forever remain in Sowerby Bridge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment