Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Trials & tribulations

 

If you think this is a watercolour, your wrong! What you're seeing is the first of my experiments of painting with dye on the white voile that I'm using for dress making. There are possibilities of adding text, as in the detail below.

There is then a whole new world for me to explore with hand-painted batik. I spent this morning working on the first sample with outstanding results: my signature blazing against a crimson background. But alas, in my enthusiasm to complete and photograph it for this post, I attempted to boil the wax out before the dye had set. When I removed the fabric from the boiling pan all that was left was the white voile that I started with. Such is vanity!

But what I can proudly show you is the tjanting tool that I made in my engineering workshop for applying the wax. The heat is supplied from my soldering iron and a light dimmer serves as to rheostat for temperature control. The tip is a plunger that retracts on contact with the fabric and allows the molten wax to flow.


No comments:

Post a Comment