Friday, August 14, 2020

You have me intrigued

A few days ago I shared some ideas I have for my fashion label Bare Minimum with my daughter Trina. Her response was, "You have me intrigued". When I told her that my material was voile (a cotton fabric that's light as a feather and semi-sheer) she added, "Now you've got me very intrigued!". 

I keep giving up on my concept of fashion for the tropics, but when I see the dreary state of what's out there, I go back to my sewing machine. 

My love affair with voile started a year ago. My body can't take the restrictions of clothing when the thermometer soars into the eighties and nineties. In desperation I made myself a pair of "bare minimum" shorts in voile. Those shorts are still going strong and the more tattered and torn they get, the more I like them. 

This led me to my tattered and torn dress designs.

 
The above dress was made from scrap pieces of voile that I had used for separating sheets of my hand-made papers. The seams are visible on the outside rather than hidden on the inside.

The dress below was intentionally ripped. Ripped jeans leave me cold, but to my incurably romantic mind a torn dress is appealing. 


Semi-sheer is semi-see-through. If one layer of white voile is set against dark skin you see the silhouette of the figure but not the detail, hence tantalizing!

Because voile is so light it can be a difficult fabric to sew, but I'm getting there.

The clothes we wear, like the houses we live in, the furniture we sit on and the plates we eat off, should represent art in our everyday lives. And the more daringly creative the better.

As I told my daughter, you could have got a father who had spent his life securely sat behind an office desk...and instead you got me!

1 comment: