Friday, December 4, 2020

Creative garb


The opening picture beats the efforts of all the world's fashion designers and catwalk models hands down. The young lady has natural poise and her garb (meaning clothing, especially of a distinctive or special kind) has texture, colour and subtlety. It puts today's lackluster fashions in the shade. 

It is what I am after for my Bare Minimum fashion label. My latest experiments along that route have involved collecting seed pods from a tree that I pass on my daily walk to the river and making netting from cotton twine.


My experiments with materials and textures include the hemp scrim that I use in sculpture for reinforcing plaster casts and allowing cotton twine to fray and tangle as it may. 
  

The picture below shows work on a similar theme that I'm envious of. Both designer and model are unknown to me so alas I cannot credit, .

I'll leave you with a 1964 live recording of the incomparable Sarah Vaughan singing Baubles, Bangles and Beads from the 1953 musical Kismet. As most of my follows were not born in 1964 is serves as an introduction to the mastery jazz we had in those days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc0mL1ro0W4

No comments:

Post a Comment