Wednesday, December 16, 2020

I was about to give up


After the disastrous Tropical Storm Erica five years ago, and then Maria, the worst Caribbean hurricane on record, three years ago, and now the Corona Pandemic, I was about to give up.

One way or the other these trials and tribulations have done their upmost to put a stop to my work. First, they deprived me of models and now, due to suppliers and shipping companies grinding to a halt, I am deprived of the fabrics I need for my fashion designs. 

But yesterday, amidst the ruined and overgrown pavilion that once was the teaching studio for my life classes, a white hibiscus blossomed alongside an abandoned sculpture. I took it as a good omen. And low and behold, this morning when I begged my local fabric shop to search their warehouse yet again for white cotton voile the assistant returned clutching an entire bolt of the material. I can now go back to my sewing machine and continue my foray into fashion. 

This evening, while re-reading D. H. Lawrence's novel The Rainbow, I came across this reference to a sewing machine:

She was triumphant and happy as the darting needle danced ecstatically down a hem, drawing the stuff along under its vivid stabbing...

Surely the guardians of morality cannot have had that sentence in mind when they ordered all copies of the one of the most beautiful books in the English language to be seized and burnt at the 1915 obscenity trial.

No comments:

Post a Comment