Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Christ on the Cross




A few days ago I had a request from the Catholic Church for a six foot sculpture of Christ on the Cross. I received a similar request last year. My response to both was: thanks but no thanks. In both cases the proposed fee would not have covered a fraction of the material costs, let alone the hundreds of hours of work involved. Furthermore, my image of the most cruel form of death ever devised by man would not be the idyllic vision that the commissioners had in mind.

Having said that, I have always been tempted to portray Christ on the Cross on my own terms. The opening sketch was made years ago with that in mind. I do not have a name to which I can attribute the sculpture shown below. Like many images I find on the internet, the source was not given. What I can say is, I wish I'd done that!

UPDATE: !5th March 2021

Thanks to Goggle Image Search, I now do have a name. The image below is of a bronze maquette by Jacquire Binns for a life-size sculpture for St. Peter's Church, Plymouth, UK.

"Crucifixion" by Jacquie Binns

As often happens, both with my own work and that of others, I find the Jacquie Binns's maquette to be more dramatic that the final sculpture.

No comments:

Post a Comment