Monday, February 22, 2021

One skill leads to another


Earlier this month l mentioned that I know of nothing more therapeutic than working with hand tools at my carpenter's bench. The results of that therapy is the rocking chair that illustrates today's post. 

The chair is still a work in progress but days of breathing shaving scented air cleared my mind to ponder on what it takes to be an artist. I am not sure how prospective students are judge for entry to an art school or college, but if it was up me I would place eye-to-hand skill high on the scale of requirements.

The skill I use as a sculptor relates to the skill I use as an engineer which in turn relates to the skill I use as a carpenter, etc. etc. One skill leads to another and all of them enable an artist to survive. 


A wood shaving straight from the plane is in itself a work of art.

No comments:

Post a Comment