Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Living above the shop


Like many of the creative artists and craftsmen from the past, I live above the shop. 

I have spent the last two weeks renovating the living room from the ravages of two hurricanes and my numerous offspring. Everything in that space I have designed and made with my own hands, from the walls to the furniture, and the same goes for the kitchen, bedrooms and bathroom. The settee and chairs date back to twenty-five years ago. They were the first of my Caribbean Furniture Designs. The cushion covers date back to last week.

Let this be a lesson for those who think art is all about painting pictures and living in squalor. To survive an artist has to be skilled in all things creative. And the space within which we live is creatively the most important of all.  

No comments:

Post a Comment