Sunday, March 28, 2021

They have cradled you in custom, they have primed you with their preaching...

 

The artist as a young man sixty years ago. 

They have cradled you in custom, they have primed you with their preaching,
They have soaked you in convention through and through;
They have put you in a showcase; you're a credit to their teaching - 
But can't you hear the wild? - it's calling you.
(From "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service 1874-1958)

The young man in the photograph is me at the age of eighteen. I look contented enough, but looks can be deceptive. Within me a rebellion was brewing. Five years later I gave up a secure job in engineering design, converted a canal barge into a studio and with my wife and two year old daughter, set sail for the French canals. It was on the pavements of France that I declared myself as an artist. 

These beginning's are relevant to questions posed by my daughter Trina and my good friend Verlena. Trina is working in computer programming and Verlena is into her second year at university. Both are creatively inclined and frustrated. They asked: "How ever did you do it." and "Was it easier in those days than it would be now.".  

I did it by grabbing chances, living on a shoe string and adapting my skills to anything that came my way. Importantly, I had the good fortune of a wife who was happy to share my dream regardless of the hardships involved. 

To step out of the normal run of things will never be easy but it is perhaps easier today than what it was for me sixty years ago. I say that because young people now are more conditioned to normality by way of further education. The majority are all after the same thing, thus leaving room for others to find their own space by stepping aside. 

When I left a well paid job in engineering design everyone thought I was mad. Maybe I was, but happy to be so. If there is a God watching over us I believe he takes special care of those who take chances in life. When I live life for all it's worth he never lets me down, but when I try to play safe he puts all kinds of obstacles in my way.

But risk is every present. I have no pension and no security for old age. But no problem. When my work is finished, I will be finished!

Pete Seeger's recording of "Little Boxes" dates from 1963, the very year when I escaped from a life sentence in little boxes. 

The blight of "Little Boxes" has alas reached the Caribbean.

No comments:

Post a Comment