Friday, May 28, 2021

My dyslexic prodigies

A couple of weeks ago I received two emails that put a smile on my face. One was from my daughter in the UK and the other, from a young lady in Australia. Both are dyslexic. 

My daughter is renovating a house. She had prepared the walls ready for plastering but the plasterer didn't turn up. Rather than wait around she decided to get on with the job herself. When the errant plasterer did finally put in an appearance the walls were finished and he had to shamefacedly admit that she'd done a good job. 

Five hundred years ago Leonardo da Vinci likewise pushed aside the plasterer who was preparing the wall for his painting and did the job himself. Along with many artists and inventors, he was dyslexic. Had the UK Eleven Plus Exam or the Caribbean National Assessment been around in his day he would have failed miserably, just as I did almost seventy years ago. During the year of my failure, I designed and built a model aircraft that could fly the length of a football field: but that didn't count. 


If Leonardo da Vinci had sat the UK Eleven Plus Exam or the Caribbean National Assessment this is what his answer paper might have looked like.

The second message came from a young lady who attended my art classes eight years ago. She was only twelve at the time and I was reluctant to take her on as the sessions were intended for adults. But her parents begged me. She was  brilliant and at the first session I learnt she was dyslexic. One adult student left the class because she was fed up of hearing me showering praise on that "slip of a girl". Her mother told me she comes home saying: Mr. Burnett is the only teacher that understands me. As dyslexics, teachers usually put us down us dumb and stupid.  For the last class in the series she gave me a box of chocolates and I made her a present of one of my paintings. The family then moved to Trinidad and we lost touch...until I received her unexpected email.

That "slip of a girl" is now studying architecture at a top university in Australia and the painting I gave her has pride of place in her room at college. Her message reads: I still remember all the lessons you taught me. Your classes really helped push me to where I am today and I'm so grateful for that. 

The UK charity "Made By Dyslexia" is helping to give confidence to thousands of other young people. This short video is required viewing for all students, parents and teachers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment