Monday, May 17, 2021

Not by painting alone


Five hundred years ago artists earned their living not by painting alone; Leonardo da Vinci and Michelangelo are prime examples. Their work involved architecture, engineering, poetry and politics. For some of us the situation remains the same today.

For the last four days I have spent every hour of my time solving urgent engineering problems and not a minute for whatever flights of fancy my muse might tempt me with.

Today's picture is not my attempt at abstract sculpture but my attempt to salvage the severely damaged main casting of a very expensive piece of equipment used for laying the island's main water supply pipe line. A collapsed 10" diameter ball race threw the proverbial spanner in the works.

The solution involves innovative design and precision engineering that my father and grandfather would have been proud of, and more especially so as some of their measuring instruments are with me on my workbench. My vernier height gauge began life in the Jowett Motor Car factory long before I was born and my 2" micrometer dates from a hundred year ago. Both remain accurate to within 0.0005". 

It's not painting but equally as creative.

No comments:

Post a Comment