Sunday, September 26, 2021

Be careful what you wish for

I keep reminding myself to be careful what I wish for. As an engineering apprentice in the 1950's I was envious of the inventive engineers of earlier times who had to put their hands to all things. Both my grandfathers worked as engineers at the tail end of the 19th century. I have inherited many of their tools and their skills are in my genes. Enoch, the city of Bradford's factotum, was as adept at repairing clocks and restoring musical instruments as he was at winning war medals for efficiency at the forge.

But it was not until I located my studio and workshop to the small Caribbean island of Dominica sixteen years ago that I got what I wished for. My machine tools - some of which are as old as I am - make the replacement parts that keep the island going. Moreover, the income the work generates keeps me going. 

On the other hand, it means my paintings and sculptures have to be put on hold, so I have to be careful what I wish for.

 
My grandfather Enoch Burnett

No comments:

Post a Comment