Saturday, September 18, 2021

It's been a while


A message from one of my models begins: "It's been a while". For the rest of the world life was put on hold with the beginning of the pandemic over eighteen months ago. But for those of us on the Caribbean island of Dominica our life change came about four years ago with the worst hurricane on record. Since then it's been one thing after another and my models are now scattered far and wide.

These diary pages began in the 1990's, before the days of blogs, with the intent of setting down in words and images the trials and tribulations that are the lot of those who toil upon the forge of art. It has been said that, however much skill an artist may develop in later life, it cannot result in great work if, by that time, he has settled down to a measure of contentment. Regardless of a degree of success along the way, as I approach eighty, I have not yet arrived at a state of complacency. 

The opening picture is what remains of my first life-size figure. The cast now languishes in a corner of my workshop. The subject is my wife Denise and the picture below shows work in progress twenty-five years ago. I had a lot to learn...and still do.


No comments:

Post a Comment