Monday, April 1, 2024

Practicing to be a painter

The Hen House

The next video in my series Notes for Art Students will focus on my past work as a painter of landscapes. I say past work, because for the last thirty-five years, it has been the figure that has commanded my attention. But today, as a means of keeping the series up to date, I went out, and painting a picture of my wife's hen house. 

In my early days as a painter of landscapes, an onlooker asked, if I was practicing to be a painter. If asked the same question today, I would confess that I am still practicing. No matter what the art form, as artist never stops practicing.

The reason for my choice of what might be perceived as a mundane subject, is to drum home to art students and aspiring artists that anything is painters' fodder. It's better to make a lot out of a common and garden little, than to make a little out of an idyllic lot. 

Links to all my videos can be found on my YouTube Channel Homepage. 

No comments:

Post a Comment