Saturday, October 9, 2021

Musical Chairs

 

My piano restoration has involved dismantling and re-assembling the 1,200 parts that make up the action that transfer the depressed keys to the strings. It's intricate work that can be best done from a stable sitting position. The processes move from one position to another and one workshop to another. In all I found myself shifting between six different stools - all of my own manufacture. Four of the stools, along with work in progress, are shown into today's picture. The brown paper bags contain the various pieces from each section of the action.

If it should happen that I'm reincarnated I've always wished to come back as a jazz pianist. When I once mentioned this to a visiting musician, his response was: stick to your paintings. He bemoaned the fact that some nights he plays his best to the dinner crowd but no one's listening. 

My rare LP collection contained recordings of all the great jazz pianists but alas the termites thought better of it. Fortunately YouTube has enabled me to discover some of their worthy successors. Here is Cecile McLorin Salvant with a trio that features the pianist Aaron Dielhi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G99FfalLFWQ

No comments:

Post a Comment