Sunday, October 24, 2021

For crying out loud!

Exhibits at the Dominica Pavilion, Dubai 2020

I began life as an angry young man and I'm ending it as an angry old man. One reason being the pictures that illustrate this post. They were taking at the Dubai Expo and the mannequins are meant to depict Dominicans wearing national dress. This would be all well and good were it not for the fact that 99.9% of Dominicans are of African or Kalinargo descent, therefore black rather than white!

The response from many Dominicans is: "Does it matter"? Well, to my mind it certainly does. Without pride of identity all is lost. 

As I was ranting, raving and crying out load about this to a Dominican friend calmed me with the following massage:

"No need to end life as an angry old man, you've ensured that you left your mark here. Even after your passing you will still exist through your legacy. And this my friend is definitely not a reason to end life angry. As always it’s a pleasure to hear from you. And from the tone of your email I can tell that you’re in good spirits, just disappointed yet again by the foolishness which surrounds you."

Thank you Kamarsha. The painting I made of you some years ago, reassures me that being black and beautiful is something to be proud of.

Kamarsha

No comments:

Post a Comment