Saturday, October 22, 2011

A beard and bold ink lines…

Around the world there must be thousands of photographs, taken by onlookers, of me painting.  Some of them will go back to my time on the pavements of France and others to my early days in the Caribbean.  At the end of the day, I go home with the painting and someone unknown to me goes home with the photograph.  

The exceptions are photographs taken by members of my own family and in particular, those taken by my brother, an exceptionally talented photographer. You will find examples of his work at http://newsfromnowhere1948.blogspot.com/  

This particular faded photograph dates from 1972 and was taken when my studio was based in Southern Ireland.  The painting, as shown below, is still in my collection.  Since then, the beard has gone along with the bold ink lines, both distinctive features of me and my work in those far off days.




1 comment:

  1. The boats are brilliant!

    Loving the beard but I bet it itched.

    ReplyDelete