Thursday, October 20, 2011

Patina with use…

The dictionary defines patina as, a surface appearance of something grown beautiful, especially with age or use. 

Bronze casts are given an instant patina at the foundry by the application of chemicals.   This gives them a head start in terms of aging.  However, patina with use cannot be easily achieved by artificial means.  Furthermore, patina with use is not always considered advantageous. 

In the entrance to Leeds City Art Gallery there is (or was) a beautiful life-size reclining female nude figure.  She’s been around for about a century and her black patina has worn thin where thousands of hands have lovingly caressed her form.   Thus, her nipples glow with the warmth of yellowed bronze.  Some years ago, there was a move afoot to have her re-patinated in order to obliterate this assault on her person.  I strongly objected, as I considered that the figure had grown more beautiful with use.

Given my frequent clashes with the Leeds Henry Moore Institute, I am honoured that they keep me on their mailing list.  Their most recent on-line newsletter is a picture showing the surface texture of Henry Moore’s Knife Edge: Two Piece.  A sculpture that is sited outside the Houses of Parliament.  On closer inspection I realised that the “patina of age” was, in this case, the work of many pen-knife incisions over the years. 
Dare I say that I think it adds the work? 

Drat, I’m sure that my name has just been deleted from their mailing list!


1 comment:

  1. Mine was removed a long time ago - but I blame you for that.

    ReplyDelete