My on-line diary began in the 1990's from my studio in the North of England. After a lapse of ten years, I resumed posting from my present studio on the Caribbean island of Dominica.

From the far beginning, the intention has been to give an insight into my working methods, and to share the triumphs, trials and tribulations of work-in-progress.

My diary pages are followed by thousands of artists, art students and art lovers in over 50 countries.

Sunday, June 29, 2014

I cannot be sane and sensible


When Dagas, in old age, increasingly turned to sculpture, he asked himself: why have I set myself this difficult task at my time of life?  I likewise ask myself, why I have dreamt up this complex exhibition program.  If I was sane and sensible I’d be lounging in front of the television or playing dominoes down at the rum shop.

But in all my 71 years, I have never been sane and sensible.  Moreover, I attract people even crazier than I am!  As if I can’t get into enough trouble on my own they lead me even further down a road that is different to all others. 

Thank you Natalie for that passionate speech about the virtues of the nude at last night’s Lyrics Under the Stars.  I will remember and give thanks for it always.

And we did pull in a wonderful collection of like-minded poets and musicians.

No comments:

Post a Comment