Saturday, June 14, 2014

The end of a chapter


Since last year I have been working on a new series of paintings and sculptures.  Next week they will be exhibited under the title: “A New Lease of Life”.  An apt name, now that I have reached my three score year and ten.   

It has been said that, however much skill an artist may develop in later life, it cannot result in great work if, by that time, he has settled down and discovered a measure of contentment.  Regardless of a degree of success along the way, I have not arrived at that philosophical state of acceptance.  When my work is finished, I will be finished!

Today’s picture was taken in my studio a few moments ago, on the eve of moving 50 paintings and 10 pieces of sculpture along a stretch of road that's only fit for a donkey.   

No comments:

Post a Comment