Friday, March 22, 2019

Doodling is good for you


This post was originally intended for my Notes for Art Students blog. But despite my attempts at resurrection, that blog fails to catch on. Perhaps my art student followers resent being demoted to a secondary site. From now on I'll stick to these pages.

The doodle that illustrates this post came about as I was trying out a box of crayons and felt tips that cost me no more than a few dollars. Many artists of the past worked with whatever materials came to hand and I tend to do the same.

Many years ago, George Prince (1918-2009), the world's acknowledge expert on creative thinking, was my next door neighbour. Entering his house was a mind boggling experience. Every inch of wall space was covered with page after page of random thoughts and doodles. 

Doodles are the outlet for spontaneous and unconscious creativity. Like water colours, they resent being controlled.  

No comments:

Post a Comment