Thursday, March 21, 2019

One skill leads to another

This week I found myself using my grandfather’s clock making tools, but not for the kind of clock mechanism that he would have known, it was quartz rather than clockwork.

There was no way that I could bear looking at the quartz clock that I had bought for a few dollars, so I set about modifying its appearance. In place of the horrid plastic case I mounted the mechanism on a brass and mahogany stand of my own making. All went well until the hollow shaft that turns the minute hand broke within the shaft that turn the hour hand. To make a repair I had to turn and bore a brass insert no larger than the head of a match – hence my grandfather’s clock making tools and his critical eye looking down on me from the next world!

The picture is of the modified clock on the shelf in my studio with the plastic case of its predecessor shown as an insert.


Why, you may ask, do I need to tell the time while painting? The answer being that I work from the model for no more than one and a half hours and in that time I attempt three paintings. The clock tells me when enough is enough. To paint more would be to achieve less.

No comments:

Post a Comment