Saturday, March 30, 2019

I can’t sit around doing nothing





While waiting for corrections to my book Notes on the Nude to be accepted, I can’t sit around doing nothing. My hands and mind have to be busy at something. Today’s picture shows what has kept me occupied.

The history of the three stools is as follows:

The small stool is one that I made a few years ago as a replica of a family heirloom that ended its days by being eaten away by wood-worm.

The stool to the left is well over a hundred years old and began its life as a weaver’s stool in a Yorkshire mill. I rescued it some years ago and it has since served as a favourite stool in my studio.

The high stool to the right is one I made last week in order to keep me from going bonkers while my darling daughter resolved errors in Notes in the Nude page layouts – patience is not one of my virtues! The stool is made from two contrasting Dominican hardwoods and will have a lifespan of hundreds of years after my time on earth.

I designed the stool specifically for one of my models to perch upon. Just as the sculptor Enzo Plazzotta’s Jamaican Girl perched almost fifty years ago when I made this sketch.

And coincidentally, who should I bump into in town this morning but Verlena, the very model I had in mind!

   

No comments:

Post a Comment