Sunday, March 17, 2019

Reinventing the (potter’s) wheel



After fifteen years of earning his living in other spheres, my son Karl has courageously declared himself a potter and his recently opened pottery is the first of its kind in the British Virgin Islands.

My children’s careers range from Chartered Accountant, Sport, Environment Management, Music and Computer Programming. But Karl is the first one to follow in his father’s footsteps and risk toiling on the forge of art.


Yet there may be another. The picture below is of his son (my grandson) and I understand they claim: “He’s just like his grandfather”. If that is so, he will certainly give them something to think about! On the strength of that I am keeping him in mind as my future apprentice. 

 

The word "apprentice" relates to the word "reinventing" in the title of this post. Apprenticeships have sadly become a thing of the past. Without the benefit of an apprenticeship those now wishing to learn a craft have to reinvent the wheel. Text books, on-line instruction and college courses come nowhere near to learning a trade at the workbench of a master craftsman. 


No comments:

Post a Comment