Saturday, July 13, 2019

Breaking the ice


This week I finally got around to meeting a new influx of potential models. At the end of a preliminary studio visit they have the option to go away and think about it or do a brief trial session there and then. Most opt for the latter. The purpose of the fifteen minute trial session is not so much a finished painting but the breaking of ice both for myself and the aspiring model. Today's painting is of Lyann's introductory session. 

Two of my potential models - twin sisters - told my that their introductory session gave them confidence in themselves. A feeling that is shared by all of my models. To learn more about how I work with models go the the serialization of my book Notes on the Nude.

This week brought a press release from the Christian Union Churches of Dominica expressing concern about what they perceive to be increasing public nudity. I responded as follows:


In many so-called primitive societies, the sexual experience is expressed - and released - in drama and dance. Conversely; indoctrination, taboos, prohibition and censorship focus on the sexual component of sexuality and the guilt implied can have deplorable social consequences. From an early age we are taught that the nude body is a shameful thing, whereas in fact it is the most natural and beautiful thing in the world.

I believe that the creative arts can serve as a moderator and liberator on these issues, just as they did in earlier times.

Alas, my comment didn't go down too well, with most readers in disagreement. 

No comments:

Post a Comment