Thursday, July 25, 2019

Painting, poetry and prose

Many artists claim that words are superfluous and that their paintings say it all. Perhaps for some it is so. However, in my attempt to portray the sensuous beauty of the nude I often resort to adding poetry and prose. 

Some years ago one of my models expressed the relationship of all three in a poem that began:  

When the painter and the poet combine,
Each searching for that illusive line,
That only a true lover can define,
Tis then they find their hearts entwine.

I might add that a similar synergy exists between painter and model. It is one that I was conscious of today as I worked on the following three paintings of Collean. 

Thank you Collean. You were inspirational!







1 comment:

  1. Beautiful poem and sketches! Love the energy in all your paintings! I am an artist from India and my style is also very rough and loose.. Felt good and inspired to see your works!

    ReplyDelete