Saturday, July 6, 2019

Sea Grapes and Butterflies


Whether it be a sketch, a painting or a piece of sculpture, each begin as a love affair. I have to feel passionately about the subject. 

The above image is a page from a sketch book of thirty years ago. I remember well wandering over Peter Island in the British Virgin Islands, searching for grand subjects for a commission of paintings for the American billionaire Richard DeVos. The grand subject evaded me, but in its place I jotted down the romance of sea grapes and butterflies that I stumbled upon. 

The sketch below follows a similar theme: the painting never materialised, but the sketch says it all. As with making love, a painting cannot be made to order. Nor can it be made to a precise rule. Better the seeming disorder of a sketch than the boredom of a laboured painting. I have more to say on this theme in my book Notes on the Nude 




Five hundred years ago the poet Robert Herrick (1591-1764) expressed the same in his poem Delight in Disorder. 
  
          A winning wave, deserving note, 
          In the tempestuous petticoat... 
          Do more bewitch me, than when art 
          Is too precise in every part.

    And on the subject of butterflies, I give you a choice between two classic versions of Poor Butterfly. Sarah Vaughan from sixty years ago and Cecile McLorin Salvant of today.


No comments:

Post a Comment