Sunday, July 28, 2019

Working from Life


It's not often you find me in the picture, and even rarer to find me and my model in the same picture. At least it gives you an idea of our working arrangement. 

My model is seated on a large revolving turntable with a neutral canvas backdrop. I keep my materials to the bare minimum: no more than a dozen tubes of colour, a No.12 sable brush and a 20" x 16" sheet of paper. A heavy duty photographer's tripod serves as my easel and allows the drawing board to be tilted in all directions - just as the turntable allows me to turn my model in all directions.  

I don't have the time or inclination to stretch my paper beforehand. I work rapidly and leave my washes to take care of themselves. Seldom do more than twenty minutes pass from start to finish of a painting and all the better if I can catch my subject in ten!

You can learn more about my painting techniques in the serialization of my book Notes on the Nude.

No comments:

Post a Comment