Thursday, July 16, 2020

One other love


Yesterday afternoon, while viewing equipment in a remote rum distillery, I was reminded by a friend that I had omitted one protracted love affair from my last post: that being my lifelong love affair with machinery - the older the better. It is firmly lodged in my genes and inherited from my father and grandfather. 

The opening painting is one of the first I painted after making a landfall on Antigua and the picture below is the gearing of the relatively small sugar cane crushing mill that I visited yesterday. Over the years I've been called in to advise on machinery in many of the remaining rum factories in the Caribbean, the most memorable being the River Antione works in Grenada which is still powered by a huge waterwheel. The owner was worried about the condition of the bearings. After inspection I was able to assure him that they were good for another 200 years.



A bonus that is part and parcel of this work is sampling the end product. Yesterday's rum was one of the best I've ever tasted! 

No comments:

Post a Comment