Sunday, July 19, 2020

Self Sufficiency


One thing that the Corona Virus Pandemic may impress upon the world is the value of self sufficiency. I believe we may see a revival of crafts and a demise in office pursuits. As a craftsman I work alone with the unpolluted tropical trade winds and my island's rugged terrain and pure rivers for company. Not only do I make my own art materials, make my own furniture and sew my own clothes, I also make many other of life's less obvious necessities. 

When I was a child in the North of England gypsies came around selling handmade clothes pegs. They were sold as a bundle, bound together with elastic bands made out of discarded bicycle tire inner tubes. Nowadays clothes pegs are made from plastic; a poor substitute that breaks in next to no time. Except, that is, for mine! 

The ones in the picture are made from a Dominica hardwood that does nor easily split and, unlike some hardwoods, does not leave a stain when wet. An hour's satisfying work that will peg clothes out for a lifetime. 

Perhaps I should hawk them door to door and tell fortunes into the bargain.

No comments:

Post a Comment