Wednesday, July 1, 2020

From different perspectives



The above watercolour is one that I made in the 1970's of Halifax, the West Yorkshire town of my youth. The photograph below is one hundreds that my brother made of the same town between the early 1960's and the late 1970's. What I attempted to capture in colour, my brother captured in reels of black and white film. His photographs are masterly and a unique historical record. 
 

For the subject of this photograph he has this to say:


I come from Halifax, and my West Yorkshire genes are programmed to find beauty in muck and grime. In the grey sky being reflected on stone cobbles. In black chimneys punctuating flat clouds. In mischievous curves creeping into twisted railway lines. A sack-load of art on the back of an old wagon parked in the shade of North Bridge. I took this photograph fifty years ago. It's all been knocked down now and they have built a nice new Leisure Centre in its place. There are probably inspirational pictures inside the Leisure Centre of mountain paths and bright green fields.

You can find more of his work at: https://newsfromnowhere1948.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment