Monday, June 29, 2020

Three in a row



Today's opening picture is an initial sketch for three bathing figures, my Caribbean equivalent of the Three Graces. 

But the three in a row that the title of this post refers to are not the three graces but the three knockout punches that over the last five years have been delivered to my island of Dominica. First, Tropical Storm Erica which wiped out entire villages; then Hurricane Maria which wiped out the entire island, and now, the Corona Virus pandemic that we are sharing with the rest of the world. 

You can add to the foot of the account that we have just entered this year's hurricane season and three days ago we had storm force gusts as a gentle reminder. With this one the only thing that was wiped out was the fiber-optic broadband cable that loops its way down the valley en route to connect me to the outside world. 

I'm hoping that it will be repaired before the end of today. Trying to communicate via a hand-held device is liable to give me a nervous breakdown. On the positive side, it was on the tablet that I found today's sketch. It's one that I can't even remember making but finding it was a pleasant surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment