Monday, June 15, 2020

To Christopher Gable with thanks


In 1997 I received a call inviting me - nay, begging me - to attend a talk by Christopher Gable, ballet dancer and choreographer. The talk had been arranged at short notice and the organizers feared poor attendance. As I had no interest whatsoever in ballet my response was, do I really have to attend. But fortunately I did and the speaker's inspired interpretation of ballet marked a turning point in my life. Christopher Gable died of cancer in 1998.

His remarkable career included being soloist and principal dancer of the Sadler's Wells Royal Ballet and Artistic Director of the Northern Ballet. Between the two he appeared in numerous musicals and starred in the classic 1970's film The Boy Friend. 

The sketch below is one that I made of the Northern Ballet at rehearsal and I have since had ballet dancers as inspirational models.


Christopher Gable was all for finding new directions for ballet and to this end he would have been pleased that three years after his death the UK company Ballet Black was formed. The company consists of international dancers of black and Asian descent with the aim of bringing ballet to a more cultural diverse audience.  

Ballet Black

In recent years there has emerged an interest in ballet for children here in my Caribbean island of Dominica. But for the most part it has been the Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy in pink tutus rather than a dynamic ballet interpretation of the island's Africa Heritage. How I wish that Christopher Gable and Ballet Black could be here to redirect and inspire them.


Ballet Class at the Dominica Institute for the Arts 

I'll leave you with Christopher Gable alongside Twiggy in this scene from the Boy Friend. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBBEs8jglfo



No comments:

Post a Comment