Wednesday, June 10, 2020

At the back of my mind

Over the last few days I've had a commemorative relief portrait bust in mind. It was brought about by an indistinct old photograph of the internationally acclaimed author Jean Rhys (1890-1979). It is not the photograph that her followers know her by but one that is in profile and from the period in her life that I can relate to.


Jean Rhys

Jean Rhys was born and grew up in Dominica. In her mid teenage years she left for England and worked on the stage as a chorus girl. The photograph was most likely taken during the period of her early novels. Her acclaimed award winning novel Wide Sargasso Sea was written when she was in her seventies. The scenes that open part two of the book are within sight of my studio.

Two weeks ago her family home in Roseau, the capital of Dominica, was demolished and that, together with the alluring photograph, set me thinking about a commemorative sculpture. 

I share with Jean Rhys an admiration of the jazz singer Billie Holiday. However, on knowing the author through her writings, I have a sneaking suspicion that she'd respond to my idea with the message contained in this recordinghttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBd5Bev5yt0

Billie Holiday

No comments:

Post a Comment