Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Sculpture possibilities

One of my files of photographs is labeled "Sculpture Possibilities". For the most part the pictures have remained just that: possibilities. But the Corona Virus has resulted in the absence models and I now find myself resorting to portfolios of photographs and sketches for inspiration. 

Yesterday I found a thumbnail low resolution photograph of what was originally intended as the pose for a half-life size sculpture. The picture was intended for no more than to remind the model how her body was placed. 


I also found a preliminary sketch: same model, same pose..


What with one thing and another - one being a major tropical storm and the other a disastrous hurricane - the sculpture never went beyond those initial stages. A pity because the pose, with the model's head tucked in the crook of her arm, was a good one.

This set me thinking: would it be possible to translate what was originally intended as a sculpture in the round into a small low relief. This morning I decided to give it a try and by this afternoon work was in progress. It measures 7" x 18".



No comments:

Post a Comment