Wednesday, June 24, 2020

A pivotal point in time


The opening photograph dates from 1973. It was taken aboard our thirty-foot ketch Sarah Hannah, half way across the Atlantic Ocean. We were en-route to the Caribbean. As I plotted our noon day position I had little idea that the voyage was to be a pivotal point in my life. From then henceforward the Caribbean was to be my adopted home.

After five weeks at sea we made our landfall on Antigua. The ship's purse was empty and I immediately had to shoulder my sketch bag and "sing" for our supper. The colour and vibrancy of the Caribbean was new to me and the first paintings sold straight from my sketch book. Those early years resulted in hundreds of paintings of my new found subject matter. 

But the good fortune of selling means that I am left with an empty portfolio from that period. The two paintings below are rare exceptions and I've held onto them tenaciously. The first is an inter-island trading boat and second; two fellow small boat sailors who, like ourselves, were singing for their supper. 

In those far off days most of us sailed on a shoe string. We were far removed from the affluent "yachties" of day.






No comments:

Post a Comment