Monday, October 12, 2020

A touch of colour

 


On a rainy day in the Caribbean I decided to add a touch of colour. 

Up to now I have been content to contrast white cotton voile against the dark skin of my potential models. I am still undecided if colour should be added and what form it should take. My experiments have ranged from batik, to dye, to ink, to pastel and back to dye - as in today's picture. 

Fortunately a lifetime's experience of throwing down watercolour washes helps when it comes to throwing down uncontrollable brushfuls of dye. As with watercolour, speed is the essence. The above design took me fifteen minutes from beginning to end. As with my paintings, risk is involved. And this time, it is not an expensive sheet of watercolour paper that's at stake but a completed dress.

Incidentally, a job lot of fabric that I bought recently as "cotton voile" turned out to be "cotton lawn". Hence the problems I've experienced in getting it to drape with gay abandon. Cotton lawn has a higher thread count which makes it a little stiffer and not quite as sheer. 

I live and learn! 

No comments:

Post a Comment