Saturday, October 31, 2020

Envy and Censorship

 D. H. Lawrence (1885-1930)

Those of us that sailed oceans in small boats over fifty years ago would swap books for something new to read on a long passage. One book that came my way was a well thumbed paperback edition of D. H. Lawrence's poems and short stories. In the forward the author makes mention of the negativity that comes from those who want to create but can't. Their envy turns to censorship and the closer the relationship, the greater is their attempt to thwart. 

If the truth of D. H. Lawrence's statement struck me fifty years ago it strikes me all the more so now. A good friend once advised me not to expect those I had known to be pleased if I made a success of life - they'd rather not know.

In comparison, I received these words from a good friend who is talented enough not to begrudge the talents of others. 

I am glad we met in this lifetime. I have already learned so much from you.

William Holt (1887-1977)

Going back even further, the author, artist and adventurer William Holt was once a neighbour of mine. Towards the end of his book "I Haven't Unpacked" he relates how, after travelling the world, he returned to his West Yorkshire home town impoverished and had to go back to working in the mill. 

Guess who I saw today, and him wearing clogs too: Billie Holt. I always said Billie Holt would come down in the world.

I remember William Holt showing me some sketches he had made at a life-class. One in particular remains in my mind. It was of the nude model warming her hands between poses before a one-bar electric fire. 

After the artist's death I tried to organise a retrospective exhibition of his work, but the surviving family members were not supportive. Perhaps they considered that Billie Holt had hogged too much of the limelight during his lifetime. I have found that negativity, envy and censorship from those who want to create but can't, sometimes continues after the creative person's death.

Life Force by William Holt



No comments:

Post a Comment