Tuesday, October 6, 2020

The cheek of it!

Work in progress on one of my lace-up designs.

Fifty-five years ago I declared myself an artist on the pavements of France and more recently I declared myself a fashion designer. 

The cheek of it! How dare someone who had spent his teenage years at an engineer's workbench and never a day in art school believe he could earn his living as an artist. And how dare someone approaching the age of eighty have the audacity to believe he could influence the dress of those in their teens and twenties. 

However, very few of those that went to art school made it as artists and I doubt that many of those who have studied for a degree in fashion design have become fashion designers. I learnt more about developing my talent for painting on the pavements of France than I could ever have done at art school, and a lifetime spent depicting the beauty of the female nude gives me a head start on subtlety revealing the beauty that lies beneath the dress.

My approach is specifically directed to the tropics and in particular to my "Daughters of the Caribbean Sun". I am not after flaunting yards of silk nor the sexually skimpy. What I am after is a cool feminine alternative to tee shirts and jeans that welcomes the attention of a fleeting glance.

A few weeks ago I began tentatively sharing my ideas at random with others. Whereas I expected a non-committal response, the feedback has been overwhelmingly enthusiastic. As one of my respondents said: "I like it! While the rest of the world grows older you grow younger." 


No comments:

Post a Comment