Saturday, October 10, 2020

I will repent...tomorrow!

 

The Yorkshire Keel Barge "Brookfoot" discharging her last cargo of coal to the Thornhill Power Station.

 If you repent, the parson said,
Your sins will be forgiven.
Aye, even on your dying bed
You’re not too late for heaven.
 
That’s just my cup of tea, I thought,
Though for my sins I sorrow;
Since salvation is so easily bought,
I will repent…tomorrow. (Robert Service 1874-1958) 

I've lost count of all that I have done in my life, but my adventures really started on the day I gave up my job in engineering design and bought for £200 the canal barge shown in the opening picture. In the years that followed, it was one thing after another. If it is true that in the next world nothing happens and it goes on for ever, I'm happy where I am.

My unconventional lifestyle was recently brought home to me in an email from my daughter in the UK. She said that when she was growing up she wished we lived the same as all other families. Now that she is grown up and she tells her friends of her upbringing, they are green with envy. 

The photographs below span twenty-seven years of Trina's life. 


Trina had an easier start in life than her sister Tania, who at nine weeks made a stormy ten-day sail from Bermuda to the Virgin Islands in a cardboard box wedged on the cabin floor of my gaff cutter Born Free

The cardboard box had previous held eggs and was appropriately marked "HANDLE WITH CARE".

 


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment