Monday, January 11, 2021

Deceased: Return to Sender

The settlement of Seymour, Long Island, Bahamas

Our voyage through the Bahamas met all the requirements of sailing on a preverbal shoe string that I mentioned in my last post. In those days the islands to the south were sparsely populated and the chances of selling paintings were few and far between. Even when sailing the islands to the north, we shared anchorages with only a few other boats and met only a smattering tourists. 

At Hopetown things seemed to take a turn for the better when a family from the States expressed lukewarm interest in one of my paintings. The sale was touch and go but it carried my usual rash guarantee that if ever they decided to part with the painting I would buy it back.

For a few weeks we lived comfortably on the proceeds of the sale. Then a letter arrived saying they had changed their mind and would like to return the painting for a refund. In dismay I rowed across to my good friend, author and fellow sailor, Fritz Seyfarth. Fritz re-sealed the envelop and went searching for what he called his "Termination Stamp". The next day I dropped the letter back in post with the envelop clearly marked front and back "Deceased: Return to Sender".

No comments:

Post a Comment