Sunday, January 17, 2021

Unforseen creative potential


Today's picture is a detail from a painting I made of one of my models five years ago. It is related to the text, but in a roundabout way. I haven't shown the entire painting because it would give the game away: the secret being, finding unforeseen creative potential.

My lifetime's search for creative potential in others has always taken unexpected turns. I seldom find it where you might expect. For the most part art college graduates fall on unproductive ground. On the other hand, I am sometimes surprised to find unforeseen talents in my models. 

The young lady who modelled for today's picture is a case in point. During our painting sessions conversation was limited to a few words. Her emails were even briefer. But I always suspected that something lurked beneath her reserved demeaner and that one day it would be revealed. 

She went away to another land, as did many of my models after the hurricane, and we lost touch. A few days ago a brief email linked me to a YouTube series of unrehearsed and unscripted conversational videos she has made. In each episode she displays a rare ability of talking naturally and intimately face to face with the camera. 

I stress "camera" rather than by the microphone alone. During the war years Billy Holt, an acquaintance that I featured in an earlier post, won the BBC's broadcaster of the year award by virtue of a long pregnant pause in one of this talks. If truth be know, he had fallen asleep at the microphone. 

My protegee manages to do this on camera! One day soon I'll link you to the secret.

No comments:

Post a Comment