Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Don't Stop the Carnival

 

"Carnival" my latest Bare Minimum design.

The critics went overboard in praise of Herman Wouk's 1965 Caribbean masterpiece "Don't Stop the Carnival"...An exuberant comedy spiced with sex and tragedy...compulsively, clock racingly readable, etc. etc. What the critics would not have known is how accurately the novel portrayed real life in the Caribbean half a century ago. I know - I was there!

My latest Bare Minimum design is based on a painting I made years ago of the Dominica carnival. In contrast to the restrained colours on many of my earlier designs, this time around I let rip and threw dye down left, right and center. The material is semi-shear cotton voile and the design is hand painted with fabric dyes.


No comments:

Post a Comment