Friday, January 1, 2021

Just Friends


Just Friends. A painting by Egon Schiele (1890-1918)

Egon Schiele's painting Just Friends is not one of his best known works, or perhaps his best, but it is one that I can relate to. A few years ago I was unexpectedly faced with the same subject. Keeping true to the innocence of the title - friends rather than lovers - is a difficult balancing act, as is also spontaneously capturing two figures entwined. 

My painting came about when a first-time model brought her friend along for company. The prospective model had reservations and it was her friend, who had not come with the intention of modelling that suggested, perhaps it would help if she modelled alongside her. First sessions can be nerve raking for both artist and model and suddenly I was faced with not one model but two. 

I had fifteen minutes to attempt the impossible. I failed but within a hair's breadth of success, as can be seen in the detail and the thumb-nail image of shown below. Egon Schiele wisely avoided faces whereas I needlessly complicated the task by inclusion.

Incidentally, both the prospective model and her friend have since become regular subjects for my paintings.   



I wish my hundreds of regular follows scattered throughout the world a Happy and Creative New Year. I leave you with Sarah Vaughan appropriately singing Just Friends.



No comments:

Post a Comment