Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Back to the drawing board

 


This week has taken me back to the drawing board and back to the days when I worked in engineering design almost sixty years ago. My task has been to design a custom rear interior for a Land Rover which is almost as old as my restored 1970's model. 

My days in a drawing office preceded computers, calculators and photocopiers. I wonder how many of my follows were around in the days of slide rules. The one in the picture was a sixteenth birthday present from my father. The scale rule and compass dates from the same period, as do my engineering text books. My drawing board is mounted on a heavy cast iron frame. The maker's name plate dates it as 1922. 

Sixty years ago the view from my drawing board was the one shown in the picture below.


My dreams in those days were of sailing away to the tropics and earning my living as an artist. That I achieved. And even if I do occasionally revert back to the drawing board at least my sunset days are spent looking over a lush valley that leads down to the Caribbean Sea.


No comments:

Post a Comment