Thursday, April 29, 2021

Where art thou, Muse, that thou forget'st so long

Where art thou, Muse, that thou forget'st so long...(William Shakespeare, Sonnet 100) 

When my muse deserts me, more often than not, I find her flirting with other art forms. Poetry and music are the most likely possibilities. 

She was by my side when almost thirty years ago I painted this picture of wind blow washing and trees in my native North of England. 


But she deserts me when it comes to inspiring my current attempts of capturing the tropical scenes that surround my studio. Even the subdued browns and yellows of our dry season are wasted on me.


Which brings me back to find solace in other art forms. This song by the incomparable Eartha Kitt is appropriately titled, If You Go Away.

No comments:

Post a Comment