Friday, April 23, 2021

Back to nature

Egon Schiele (1890-1918)

When I first came to the Caribbean my subject matter was the way of life of the islanders. As the traditional scenes declined I turned my attention to the islanders themselves. I began my series Daughters of the Caribbean Sun in the 1980's when I could still find lithe models to work from. However, in recent years Kentucky Fried Chicken has added pounds to their figures and I now search in vain for potential models.

It seems that my chosen subjects, in what ever form they take, are fated to disappear soon after I capture them in my paintings. My books Virgin Island Sketches and Caribbean Sketches are now historical records.

This week, while mulling over these events, I decided to revert back to nature before the flowers become extinct and the trees are cut down. It's a difficult transition and I'm not sure that I have the passion and skill to pull it off. 

Many artists from the past have turn to nature and some surprisingly so. The open painting is by Egon Schiele, the master of erotica. Jacob Epstein claimed he had earned more from his flower paintings than he had done from his sculptures. Before he painted his hallmark acres of fresh, Lucian Freud painted incredibly detailed wild flowers. If Vincent Van Gogh could get passionate about a field of stubble and Claude Monet paint powerful images of waterlilies, why shouldn't I see what can be made of what is supposedly the "Nature Island of the Caribbean".

Below are my tentative beginnings: two paintings that I made within a few yards of my studio.



No comments:

Post a Comment