My on-line diary began in the 1990's from my studio in the North of England. After a lapse of ten years, I resumed posting from my present studio on the Caribbean island of Dominica.

From the far beginning, the intention has been to give an insight into my working methods, and to share the triumphs, trials and tribulations of work-in-progress.

My diary pages are followed by thousands of artists, art students and art lovers in over 50 countries.

Saturday, May 28, 2011

How nice it must be…

I think it was George Orwell who, in the discussion that followed a talk that he gave to members of the Women’s Institute, was confronted with the pronouncement: “Mr Orwell, how nice it must be to be able to write.”  His response was, “Madam, writing is the worst punishment that I can possibly devise for myself”.

In a similar way, many believe painting to be therapeutic.  It may be for some, but rarely for me.  More often than not, it is the worst punishment that I can possibly devise for myself.  The exception is when I am working from an inspirational model. 

Here, in rare therapeutic mode, is a detail from one of my drawings in the series “A Portrait of Alice”. 

No comments:

Post a Comment