My on-line diary began in the 1990's from my studio in the North of England. After a lapse of ten years, I resumed posting from my present studio on the Caribbean island of Dominica.

From the far beginning, the intention has been to give an insight into my working methods, and to share the triumphs, trials and tribulations of work-in-progress.

My diary pages are followed by thousands of artists, art students and art lovers in over 50 countries.

Monday, May 2, 2011

The real thing…

Diaries have always been a part of my life; scribbled pages in W H Smith books that are now falling to pieces.  Never the less, those brittle yellowing pages may have a longer life than anything I commit to goggle.  Here is a page that goes back to 1992 on which I am telling myself:

Must:  paint freer, paint faster, paint more experimentally…must leave out, must see the fundamental mass and no more than suggest detail…


Twenty years down the road and I am still telling myself the same home truths.  To illustrate that page here is a painting of rain over the Yorkshire moors that dates from the same period.  Although I doubt if the painting satisfied me at the time, but looking at it now, I perhaps closer to the real thing than I realised.

1 comment:

  1. It looks just like the Yorkshire moors; lots of rain and mist with a bit of peat thrown in for good measure :D

    ReplyDelete